Crab Curry (කකුළු ව්යාංජනය)
Being an island nation, Sea Food has always played a major role in Sri Lankan cuisine. The mouthwatering spicy crab curry has been a crowd pleaser for decades and locals have been accustomed to cooking this delicious crustacean using authentic Sri Lankan Spices and ingredients which includes staples such as ginger, garlic and Curry Leaves or even the unique yet healthy drumstick leaves (murunga leaves). Known as the “Kakuluwo Curry”, this can be cooked in various methods, while the most used crabs are the blue swimmer or mud crabs which are widely available.
Here is a simple crab curry recipe for you to try out!
- 4 Crabs shelled ,cleaned and well washed, cut in halves with claws attached
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 4 Garlic Pods (crushed)
- A few sprigs of Spring onions
- 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 small Red Chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander Powder leaves
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Tomato purée
- ½ cup Chicken stock or water
- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a large pan or clay pot heat oil and sauté ginger and garlic.
- Add the crabs and cook for about 10 minutes, while tossing it so that its cooked evenly.
- Add the sauces, stock, tomato purée, chillies, salt and sugar and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the corn flour in a table spoon of cold water and add to the curry to thicken it.
- Add salt to taste.
- Finally add the spring onions and coriander leaves as a garnish.